I have to be honest, I do not have any kids yet, so this may seem silly that I'm writing about keeping the romance alive with little turds running around. But for some reason I seem to find myself giving advice to parents on keeping the romance alive, and so far my advice seems to work for them. So I have created a list of different things you and your partner can do together that ensures you keep that "spark" (see what I did there?) going post kiddos!
1. Make sure you prioritize your partner over anything. With kids I could only imagine how hard this is, especially when they're little. But you have to remember that you and your partner chose to spend your life together without kids involved. Think about all of those little things you prioritized before having kids and make them a priority again. If you notice his beer stock is running low, go out and get him some more. If her vase has been sitting empty for a few months, buy her a bouquet of her favorite flowers. It's those little things that go a long way!
2. Find hobbies that you both enjoy doing together. If you already have a hobby that you both enjoy, then make it a point to do it once a week. And if you guys don't have a shared hobby yet, try things out! Take a painting class together, go on a bike ride, cook your favorite meal together, look for something new to do together. You never know what hobbies you both will enjoy, and it they will only bring you closer together.
3. Don't let the kids sleep in your bed! Just don't. For so many of you parents, bed time is the only one on one time you get together. Don't have your kiddos in there taking that time away. Keep bed time special for you two.
4. Have strict bed times for kids. If you tell them 8pm is bedtime then you better make sure they're in bed every night by 8pm. Once they're in bed you have a few hours to enjoy each other. Open up a bottle of wine, watch your favorite shows together, and snuggle the evening away.
5. Send each other loving text messages throughout the day. It's always a great feeling to see a random "I love you," or "I miss you," text from your lover. Messages are great because you let your partner know you're thinking of them. And if you're feeling frisky, don't be afraid to send a little photo to let them know what you have planned for them after work ;).
6. Have sex regularly! I don't think I really need to go in to detail here. Just do it.
There it is guys! I hope that these work for you in keeping that romance alive. Just remember that you and your partner chose each other first, so you need to prioritize each other as much as possible.